J&M Bookstore was opened on May 19, 1953 by George Johnston and Paul Malone.
After building the original J&M at the College Street location, they purchased Hawkins' and several years later, Burton's Bookstore, which had roots back to the 1800s.
This technically made J&M the oldest college bookstore in Auburn.
In 1960 George bought out Mr.
Malone's 50% interest and J&M became wholly owned
by the Johnston family. This was divided between George's children and his brother Harvey, who had returned from the service. During this time J&M owned or leased seven stores on seven college campuses around the south.
Tragedy struck the Johnston family in 1974 when Harvey was killed in a plane crash. As a result the operation is concentrated solely in Auburn with two locations. The original location, opened in 1953 is located on South College Street just steps away from Toomer's Corner. Our newest location is a spacious 9000 square foot store located at the corner of South College and Donahue Drive.
In 1983 the store was changed from a partnership and incorporated. In 1997 J&M joined forces with other local businesses and helped pass two pieces of legislation concerning the availability of book information and access to student ID charge cards. This Alabama legislation has greatly benefited private stores.
George Johnston died April 29, 1997, leaving the store in the hands of his sons, Trey and Skip, and Harvey's son, Scott. George worked tirelessly for many years to build J&M and make it the store it is today. He would also give credit to his wife, Dorry, Harvey's wife, Hazel, numerous longtime employees, and thousands of students who joined in the effort to make J&M what it is--a great store with a great tradition!